Thursday, April 22, 2010

Who is the Lady on the Sign?

Today Nathaniel (4 years old) said to me in the car 'Who is the lady in the sign?' It took me a while to realise that he was not talking about traffic signs but the posters for the local conservative candidate. Apart from UKIP I havent seen any other posters.

Tonight it will be interesting to see how the three party leaders fare in the leaders debate on Sky News. I get a sense that what we are seeing now in the polls could be described as the 'John Sergeant Effect.' Remember him? The public voted over and for him on Strictly Come Dancing because they (a) loved seeing an underdog rise and (b) had contempt for the judging system. Could the current volatility in polls be part of the same reaction? With the scandal of MPs expenses last year it was only a matter of time before the public would get their revenge and do something dramatic. (Irrespective of the merits or otherwise of voting for a particular party.)I'm not trying to make a party political statement but rather sensing the way that TV with the new technology (eg social networking on the internet) allows these sudden public tidal waves.

Its a bit like the resonance effect that we see happen in the natural world. If you know the natural frequency of an object you can set in catastrophic vibrations.

Footnote

If I were a betting man, I would put my money on the leader of the Lib Dems becoming the deputy PM and his lordship, the business secretary (He Who Must Not Be Named) as acting PM. How long such a coalition can last...is anyone's guess?

No comments: