Saturday, October 4, 2008

Your Story is Important

At the age of seventeen I picked up a slim paperback of the Gospel of Saint Luke and read it cover to cover. Being part of family which went to church I knew the basics of the story but somehow it had not touched me deeply. Weeks before my life was thrown upside down when I found my grandfather dead in the living room. He had adopted me and we were very close. And so I clung to every word from this little book offered. At the end when the two disciples in Emmaus remark ‘Did not our hearts burn inside when he (Jesus) spoke,’ I too could relate to this experience. I offer this story because I believe that each of us has a story to tell and in particular a spiritual story. In our more traditional liturgical settings we don’t give space to these testimonies. We maybe offer the sign of peace to our neighbour but do not know how God has spoken to them over the years. We too easily take these things for granted.

As a priest it is easy to get distracted in the hundred and one things that make up the business of running church. But one of the main tasks of a priest must be to hear the spiritual stories. Even the simple act of telling our story and being listened to can be surprisingly empowering and liberating.

So as a small beginning I offer anyone the opportunity to come and spend time telling me the story of God in their lives. It may be that stories include failures, doubts and struggles. Even these experiences can be strengthening and we should not be judgemental. We all have struggles. I do all of this not because I want to be nosy but because I think that this can build up our spiritual lives. Naturally this would be done in a context of confidentiality so that stories remain private.

The above article was put in the church magazine for the October issue. If you want to share your story on-line please feel free to. You could add it as a comment (public) or email it to me (confidential).

No comments: